It is the mission of the Columbia City Police Department to protect lives and property of the citizens we serve. We will strive to reduce crime, the fear of crime and use proactive and progressing planning to ensure citizens have a safe community to live, work or play. Officers of the Columbia City Police Department will conduct themselves with honor, integrity and high ethical standards while performing their duties.
We are located in Northeast Indiana, 20 miles west of Fort Wayne on U.S. 30. The Department was established in 1922 and consisted of only 3 officers. We currently employ 18 full-time officers, 1 civil and have 5 volunteer reserve officers. We proudly serve the residents of the City of Columbia City.
Holiday Safety Tips
We at the Columbia City Police Department want all our citizens and visitors to have a safe and heathly holiday season. Here are some holiday safety tips for you and your family.
• Shop during daylight hours whenever possible. If you must shop at night, go with a friend or family member.
• Dress casually and comfortably.
• Avoid wearing expensive jewelry.
• Do not carry a purse or wallet, if possible.
• Always carry your driver's license or identification along with necessary cash, checks and/or a credit card you expect to use.
• Always stay alert to your surroundings. Trust your inner “monkey”. If something sends a shiver down your spine, there probably is a reason for it.
• Avoid carrying large amounts of cash.
• Pay for purchases with a check or credit card when possible.
• Keep cash in your front pocket.
• Notify the credit card issuer immediately if your credit card is lost, stolen or misused.
• Keep a record of all of your credit card numbers in a safe place at home.
• Be extra careful if you do carry a wallet or purse. They are the prime targets of criminals in crowded shopping areas, transportation terminals, bus stops, on buses and other rapid transit.
• Avoid overloading yourself with packages. It is important to have clear visibility and freedom of motion to avoid mishaps.
• Beware of strangers approaching you for any reason. At this time of year, con-artists may try various methods of distracting you with the intention of taking your money or belongings.
• Put a password on your cell phone. Consider getting applications for the phone that allow you to put credit card information and such on it to lessen what you must carry while shopping.
• Prepare yourself and your vehicle for inclement weather. You may start out shopping on a beautiful sunny day and then be driving home in near blizzard conditions.
• Consider carrying a “safety whistle”. It is unobtrusive and draws attention.
• Stick with reputable dealers while online shopping such as Amazon who works continually to keep their consumers credit card information safe.
• Consider buying a pre-paid credit card so that you real credit/debit card is not jeopardized in case of a security breach or theft.
• In a crowded store, for example Black Friday, keep a perimeter that gives you room to react to a rushed or excited shopper. Many people have been injured and even killed in a rush to get a good deal.
• Lock up items in the trunk. Do not leave shopping bags in the passenger compartment as this makes an easy target for a “smash and grab”.
• Take packages to the car periodically during extended shopping trips. This reduces the appearance of a large “stash” of presents in your vehicle as well as making you less of a target for a thief who can steal these items when you are struggling to carry them.
• Use the child safety belt in your cart to secure your purse. Place the seatbelt straps through the handle of your purse and secure with the other half of the safety belt. This will help avoid a quick grab and go of your purse.
General Contact Information
112 S. Chauncey St.
Columbia City, IN 46725
Administrative Office Hours
Monday - Friday
8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.